31 October 2013

Planets

We did two days of school this week.  They were a little shorter than normal but we are learning about the planets/solar system.

So far he has learned about Mercury, Venus and Mars (we spent a whole month on Earth).  We also learned about comets, asteroids, and meteorites.

He glued/glittered a comet and we made a comet from sand and ice.  We are making a solar system to hang from our dining room light and when it's done I'll post that.  He learned that mercury is dead and has continually called it the dead planet all week.  He learned if he stood on mercury he wouldn't be able to hear.  I had him plug his ears then I mouthed words (and made it look like I was yelling them)  to him and when he unplugged his ears I asked if he could hear me, he thought it was really cool that he couldn't.  We did a volcano with baking soda and vinegar and talked about Venus being the hottest and brightest planet.  Venus happens to be out now and last night Cedrik got to see it.  Really cool.

Next week we'll attempt the last of the planets.

No comments:

Post a Comment